This week I sat down with wine-growing experts and Australian business veterans Brian McGuigan and Colin Peterson. We discuss their careers and how they got started in wine and business and what they’ve learnt from navigating growth and understanding their business model.
Key takeaways for business owners:
- Learn from your mistakes – Making mistakes are fine. Yet never let an opportunity get away that may help you crack through to that next phase.
- Be true to yourself – Understand what your business model is. Don’t spread yourself too thin. Reflect on your experience and understand what works and what does not.
- You always have to deliver value – Your customers are always looking for the best value for money. Your consumers rule the value of your product.
- Guidance and mentoring IS A MUST– A sounding board, mentor or business coach “by your shoulder” is a must. Learning from others who have been there and done it is invaluable.
- Empowering your staff with job satisfaction is crucial – Everyone who works for you is a partner in your business. Your staff will return value for you when they feel supported and empowered.