Something a little bit different for this episode as I sit down with Erica Thomas of Newcastle Grammar School to discuss how a school engages from a business perspective and the valuable lessons that business owners can take on board.
Key takeaways for business owners:
- Recognise what you cannot do – ask yourself ‘Do I have the right people in my team to support the organisation?’ and how can I support them.
- Change is tough – but it’s easier when you’re a part of the change process. Involve your team on the journey and have them actively participate in evoking change.
- Open up conversations with stakeholders – these are the people that will be impacted by the outcome of everything you do. Their feedback is invaluable and it gives you the opportunity to deal with issues front on.
- Don’t focus on what you can’t change – take control of what you can to mitigate and create opportunities from it.
- Learn and adapt – just like children learning in a school, business owners need to gain experience from colleagues, competitors and other organisations, you don’t always have to reinvent the wheel.