I sat down with Leah Jay, Founder & Director of Leah Jay Property Management. We chat about how Leah navigates life as a woman in business and how she grew a successful brand. We touch on the importance of education, purpose and adaptability in the Property Management world.
My key takeaways for business owners:
- Push your comfort zone – running a business is hard. But you need to keep pushing yourself, keep that drive, keep encouraging your people and keep learning – even if it may be something you struggle with. If you keep doing it, you’ll get better at it.
- Anything is possible – you may not be able to have it all at once but it’s possible. The world is changing, have flexible practices in place for all. This is a big draw card for everyone, especially parents, helping them balance their work life and children.
- People are everything – I honestly don’t think there has been an episode where ‘people’ hasn’t come up. As a business owner, you have a duty to your people. Help them grow, let them contribute and avoid micro-managing.
- Have a purpose outside of the business – find something that inspires you and helps you grow as a person. You’ll bring new fuel into the business and it may prompt your people to do the same.
- Live your values – don’t lose the essence of why you started in the first place. Articulate them to your people and ensure everyone is on the same page to achieve the common goal.